Fellowship is one of the most distinguished designations the HFSA can offer its members, and is a tremendous recognition of professional achievement and contributions to the society. The designation is based on outstanding credentials, achievements, and contributions to heart failure medicine.
Those who are elected to fellowship demonstrate to peers and patients their commitment to quality heart failure care through use of the FHFSA designation.
Fellow participants enhance their knowledge of heart failure issues and obtain valuable professional experience that enriches their careers.
Individuals, regardless of discipline or profession, who have a minimum of 2 years of HFSA membership and meet the requirements below, are eligible to apply for Fellowship Recognition. Please see the schedule below to determine when your completed application will be reviewed and status communicated:
Application Schedule & Deadlines
|Date Application Submitted||Date Review Process Begins||Date of Notification|
|October 1 – December 31, 2016||January 15, 2017||February 15, 2017|
|January 1 – March 31, 2017||April 15, 2017||May 15, 2017|
|April 1 – June 30, 2017||July15, 2017||August 15, 2017|
|July 1 – September 30, 2017||October 15, 2017||November 15, 2017|
|October 1 – December 31, 2017||January 15, 2018||February 15, 2018|
APPLICATION FEE – $250.00
Applicants will be invoiced upon application approval.
Please note that applications will not be processed without completion of required information fields.
Applications must be accompanied with the required letters of recommendation (as described on the “Requirements” page).
Applicants will be notified of their status following the close of each review session. If approved for FHFSA designation you will receive a certificate and pin; which indicate your designation status.
Requirements for Fellowship Designation
- Fellowship status is open to all members independent of degree.
- Have been a dues paying member of HFSA for at least 2 years (need not be consecutive)
- Must be current HFSA member in good standing.
- Must devote at least 50% of professional time to the broadly defined fields of heart failure, cardiac transplantation, mechanical assist devices, or heart failure research.
- Two letters of recommendation from either an HFSA Board of Directors Member(s), a current HFSA Committee Chair(s), a Past President(s) of HFSA or an active FHFSA member. Click here to see a current list of HFSA Leaders. Click here to see a current list of FHSA Members.
- Must meet at least two of the following criteria:
- Board certified in Advanced HF transplant Cardiology by ABIM, Nurses should be certified in HF (such as AAHFN)
- Significant past or current contributions to HFSA (e.g. abstract reviewer, speaker/moderator at annual meeting, committee member, published in JCF, etc.)
- Primary area of service/focus in HF (verified by position title, appointment, or by letter from service chief or research in heart failure, including advance HF and transplant).
Please Note: Maintenance of FHFSA is contingent upon active membership.
If you have any questions or require additional information regarding the FHFSA Designation please contact Patrick McGary at firstname.lastname@example.org